Logo

fuel problem 1990 115 hp

raubol

I have a 90 merc 115 newly rebuilt that runs ok at low rpm's but when you try to go over 3800rpm's it starts to run out of gas. pump the bulb and it runs again and if you come to a stop it will die after starving which makes sense however, I pump the bulb up with the hose off the motor and it holds tight. Could it be the fuel pump cant keep up with the demand? or is the vent perhaps partially plugged. I removed the fuel cap and it did the same thing. Any ideas?

Re: fuel problem

Since pumping the bulb helps you either have an air leak somewhere in the lines or your fuel pump diaphram is shot.

For the cost of a kit I would rebuild the fuel pump...

Should have added -

Did you correct the failure that caused the rebuild in the first place?

yes, I believe it was an overheating issue that was supposedly remedied by putting a 125 degree thermostat in place of the 145 that was in there originally. however I bought the boat in december and dont really know why the boat overheated causing the sleeve to drop. I'll replace the diaphram and maybe replace the fuel line after that thanks, Ron

replace the water pump also, as that is probably the reason for the overheat. they should be replaced every 2 yrs at a minimum any way.

Back