Logo

fuel pressure drop

newfoundland_rob

1998 350 Mag MPI/Bravo 3 I only have 28 psi of pressure on my fuel rail (supposed to be 34 to 38 lbs), mechanic said it was the pump but after reading about it some it seems that it could be something else ? Just wondering what you guys think, don't want to order a pump till I've made a reasonable effort to make sure that it is the problem. I just finished putting the engine back in the boat, had to take it out the spring to put on a new base pan. Engine worked perfectly before winter storage, just wondering if there is something we might have done (or not done) to cause the drop in fuel pressure. Engine starts and idles perfect now, runs fine till about 2500 rpms (almost planed) then starves for fuel. Also the boat is stored inside, used regularly and kept clean with regular maintenance, I don't think I have a tank problem but possible I guess. I'm going to try running the engine on an auxiliary tank tomorrow (bypass the filter in case that is the problem, changed filter last summer though) Anyway, any ideas appreciated, I know it probably is the pump, just seems strange for the pump to put out consistent 28 lbs pressure if there is a problem with it. Thanks

If you know your fuel and filters are good....... It could be your fuel regulator on the fuel cooler, I just had the opposite problem, to much fuel at idle. Changed it out and it's running like new......

If you do find that its your fuel regulator and you are doing the work I would recommend that in addition to the regulator you also purchase the fitting that goes from the regulator to the fuel line.
Good Luck

I see that your fuel regulator (Pink Dot) should operate at 30 PSI, please provide an engine serial number so that can be confirmed, I was suprised that a 2 PSI in fuel pressure can make a hugh difference in engine performance.........See my recent posting on the forum 2001 5.7 TBI Flooding at Idle.

Back