Logo

Fuel leak Near hit Check yours today

biltong

"what an irony talking about f

"what an irony talking about fuel safety issues and LPG in a previous posting.

Went fishing yesterday and there was a strong smell of petrol on the boat, strangely strongest at the LH front seat.

Kept the blower on most of the time, re-fueled on the way home and when I was putting the boat cover on the smell was just so strong.

I investigated futher to find the fuel gauge seal at the top of the tank was oosing fuel out.

Opened the bilge drain plug and got 3 litres of fuel out, with 1 litre of saltwater. Tightened up the 8 5/8" nuts and problem gone.

I doubt the 2 lb fire extinguisher would have been very effective had she sparked!!!!!!!!!! in fact sure she would have blown up.

Only had the boat 3 weeks, so thought the smell was just from the carbs. Lucky call as I always refuel after a day out which obviously help with the leakage on the top of the tank.

Very surprised previous owner never mentioned it, but maybe he only filled up on the way out and used up the fuel quick enough for it not to br running full and leaking.

Fill up to the top and check yours today?"

Along with leaving the blower

Along with leaving the blower going I pull my doghouse cover off and sniff around before every start.

my sender developed the same l

my sender developed the same leak about 3 years ago. the 30 year old gasket just suddenly deteriorated. I think the ethanol blend was to blame.

Back