Logo

Fuel issues?

SeaPea52

I have a Yamaha OB 225HP 4 ST. 2003 I have been having an issue that after I take her out for a while (runs fine) but when we stop for a while, to swim, lunch, etc. About 1.5 hr. She starts, but when I try to accelerate, she dies. I can start up again, but same thing happens. A year ago, all I had to do was pull the cowl off and let sit for about 5-10 minutes and she was fine. Now, we leave the cowl on, but have to pump the primer repeatedly to finally get going. Any ideas? My mechanic thinks it may be the low press pump?

Do you have EFI? I don't know much about that stuff. I do know that on my Yamaha 115, anytime I stop to go up on a beach, or get out and swim for any length of time, I always have to pump the primer again before restarting the motor. I have no idea how the fuel seems to drain out of the carbs, or where it goes, but I've just resigned myself to that just being the way it is. A few pumps on the bulb, and she fires right up and is ready to go again. Sounds like you have a bigger problem than that though.

Thanks. I do have EFI. We think it's a fuel pump getting heated up and not cooling or something like that. The mechanic is going to replace one pump. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue. It's strange that the past few times we haven't had to to take the cowl off to cool and that pumping alone helps. Boats are...well... boats!

Back