Logo

fuel hose or fuel pump

RedPepper

I have a 1995 evinrude 25 that i bought 2 months ago. When i run it 3/4 throttle, it runs perfect. When i run wide open, it goes maybe 50 yards and shuts off. I noticed the primer bulb was soft so i primed it and the motor took off. I changed the bulb, ran it again and the same thing happened. The fuel line looks good. The fuel tank is a Johnson made plastic tank that has no vent plug. It came with the motor. One mechanic says replace the fuel pump and another says the fuel line and all the fittings. Anyone have any ideas?

The Fuel Prime Bulb, if it was laying in a normal horizontal position... it should not have been hard (full of fuel) as the normal happening to that bulb is to have the fuel level drop down to the halfway point when the engine is underway.

If the primer bulb had a tendency to collapse, go flat... that indicates a fuel restriction at the fuel tank.

If pumping the fuel primer bulb (and the bulb DID NOT have a tendency to go flat) corrected the problem, that indicates a fuel pump problem.

If the bulb was going flat then it is a restriction in your line or bad tank ventilation. In that case (bulb compressing) you know that your fuel pump is working. If you have another fuel hose take it out with you. If the motor starts to die, see for sure if the bulb is compressed. In any event, unscrew the tank cap and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then it is not tank ventilation. Put on the other hose if you have one and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't it is not the fuel hose.

If the primer bulb is not compressed and pumping it fixes the problem, then it could be your fuel pump or the inlet valve on your carburetor or an air leak somewhere along the line.

Run another test and you should get some useful information that will point you at the culprit pretty quick.

Last edited:
Back