Logo

Fuel Filter Survey

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"Let's Take a 5.7L carb. m

"Let's Take a 5.7L carb. motor, Mech. fuel pump everything else really doesn't matter. generally you have the fuel line from the tank to the pump then fuel filter/Water separator then carb. So the question is what is everyones thoughts on putting a inline filter BEFORE the fuel pump.. would it effect the performance, the flow, or anything else. Pros and Cons to doing this."

I have a fuel/water separator

I have a fuel/water separator filter between the fuel tank and the mech. pump. The mech. pump has a paper filter in it and the carb has a screen filter. I have always read that a filter before the pump should be a large micron filter just to keep debris out of the pump. The predominate small micron filter should be after the pump.

"you guys are right on the flo

"you guys are right on the flow from the tank my mistake. so let me rephrase the question what is your thoughts on installing a small see-through fuel filter inline (the little round ones that your can buy at any marine store for $5.00) from the tank to the fuel/water separator. I'm having a debate with my buddy, he says that it will restrict the flow and cause poor performance, I have never heard of this so I figured I would ask everyones opinion here."

"Bill
The ideal situation as

"Bill
The ideal situation as far as I am concerned is tank, water seperator, filter, pump, but what you should consider though is that each filter acts a bit like a resistor in a wiring loom.
The more you add the more possibility you have of influencing the flow of fuel through the system.

Those cheapie little filters are fine in the right application but a marine fuel system throws a few more challenges at them and they have the ability to block very easy and cause you to be stranded scratching your head a long way from home.

We generally use larger cartridge style filters for their ability to absorb and trap alot of the badies without actually restricting/inhibiting flow to much.

Given the right set of circumstances your buddie is right, it will affect flow and possibly performance, maybe not when you first fit it but it will be far more suseptable to failure than the cartridge filter and create a weak point in the chain of supply.

Cheers
Peter C"

"If you don't want holed p

"If you don't want holed pistons, go with:

Tank
Water separator and coarse filtration (30 to 40 microns)
Pump
Fine filter (10 microns)of large capacity
Carb.

Others have tried running the filter before the fuel pump, for some reason, and sometimes they even get away with it! But there's always the possibility pf a bad batch of fuel from some marina. First the carb leans out, strangled by the filter placed before it, then the motor leans out, followed by ventilated pistons and lots of $$$ repairs.

It's your choice.

JEff"

"I believe most fuel/water sep

"I believe most fuel/water seperators are filters as well.

Tank > Racor fuel/water seperator > pump w/filter > carb w/ filter. That's how mine is set up. Works like a charm, even after I got some sea water in my tank.

BillK does your buddy even own a boat? ;)"

"Basic applied hydraulics says

"Basic applied hydraulics says U can blow more than U can suck. Or to put it in completely polite terms, take great care to minimize restrictions (like filters) before the pump, they affect the pump's ability to draw in fuel & therefore will affect the pump's performance."

Back