Logo

Fuel Consumption/RPMS?

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
I just bought a 1990,34' Luhrs with twin 454's. Vessel weighs 16000 lbs. Any ideas on optimal RPMS to run most fuel efficient and possible fuel consumption?
Thanks,
Nightstalker

Last edited:
"Flo-Scan" Fuel Flow meters...... these appear to get the best reviews!
Fuel flow in GPH is great for syncronizing and/or comparing each engine!
However, GPH is NOT an accurate means of measuring fuel economy!
MPG is because it includes distance traveled!

Many of today's FFM's interface with GPS and will give you this!
Now you have usable numbers as to which RPM is best for you.

Last edited:
Any ideas on optimal RPMS to run most fuel efficient and possible fuel consumption?

that's easy. One engine on, and run it at 1200rpm! But, that's not likely the answer you are looking for. If it's optimum cruise speed, that will be close to 3200rpm, assuming they spin up to just over 4000 at WOT.
Floscans are a great investment.

I'll be the third endorsement for the floscans.

Each hull is different and the only way to get you optimal fuel consumption is to get the measuring equipment and find out.

Another item to start budgeting for is a trip to the PropScan shop...it ain't cheap but you'll be hard pressed to find an unhappy customer.

I installed the Garmin version of the flo-scan and interfaced it to the Garmin head unit. It works great at 1500rpm and above. It shows gph/gpm/fuel in tank, and distance I can travel to next fill up.

I too have the Garmin GFS 10 fuel flow sensors in each line and coupled with all of the data on the chartplotter it has been the best money we have spent. Propscans runs a tie as well...I have never heard of an unhappy customer of propscan. Our 18x20's were about $400.00 for the pair about 3 yrs ago and this year, were the same coast since we were previous customers

I think it will take a bit longer than a year or so but it sure will be recouped before the mortgage is paid off.

Back