Logo

fuel consumption report

realcaptron

Regular Contributor
gang...just throwing this out there for fun really. I know that 454 fuel burn can be an issue of concern sometimes. I know for me it is. Past weekend I decided to run my 32' sportfisherman over to Catalina Island and back at a slow speed to see what my consumption would be and I was really pleased with results.
This is an 18,000 lb planing hull flybridge boat with twin crusader 454's with holley 750 cfm carbs. Distance traveled was about 50 miles roundtrip, I ran the boat at just 1500 rpms netting 7.9 mph all the way. My total consumed was 40 gallons, which if my math is correct is 1.25/1......I'm very happy with that. And as far as the speed, I actually found it to be very enjoyable to sit back on autopilot and watch the ocean go by. Got to see marine life I may have missed if blowing past it. Dolphins are almost always spotted making that passage, and were, but this time we actually got to see a couple pilot whales up close and personal too. A finning shark and other stuff made it memorable for wife who does'nt normally get to see that stuff.

I'm a retired guy and the expense of fuel is an issue, so this burn rate is very encouraging.

Back