Logo

Fuel and Spark Plugs

aj4ct

"As the new owner, of an oldie

"As the new owner, of an oldie but goodie 1.5 HP, 1969 model 1902C Evinrude MATE. I would like to take the time, to Thank "VicS" foe his help to A new owner question on maint. posted on July 7th. I have followed his recommendations and since recieved a OEM Manual from MarineEngine.com, and parts "carb kit, w/pump impeller, and lwr. end seals". All went very well, untill carb adjustment time, I cannot get a good idle, unless choked, and Low/High speed adjustments went rich, not lean. The carb cleaning is immaculate. The Champion J4J was replaced by J4C, but VicS's posting suggested the Champion J6C gapped .30 I have read, and reread the manual. What have I done wrong, on another discussion I saw a suggestion to go from 50.1 ratio, to 40.1 is this true!!"

Stay with 50:1 and change the

Stay with 50:1 and change the plug to j6c gaped at 030 thou...Get the motor running and adjust the low speed by turning the needle valve clockwise untill the engine starts to splutter or die and turn anti clockwise half a turn then crank the engine to full throttle and screw in the high speed needle untill the engine starts to die and turn the needle valve out untill it is at optimum speed you will have to recheck the low speed again.

"<font color=""119911"">Carb a

"<font color=""119911"">Carb adjustments as Jamie summarises.

For Joe Reeves' detailed treatment of the subject see</font> HERE

<font color=""119911"">If you cannot get it running smoothly following Joe Reeves' instructions without the choke then maybe the carb is not as clean as you think.

Beyond that there are various possibilities. Air leaking in via a bad gasket, defective crankshaft seals, bad head gasket.

If you can beg, borrow or steal a compression tester a compression test may be a worth while exercise.</font>"

"The tapered point of that slo

"The tapered point of that slow speed needle valve must be a perfect taper. The slightest imperfection will render that needle valve almost useless.

Just in case...... the slow speed needle valve (top) is the one with a long needle like taper. It happens at times that they get reversed.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back