Logo

Front timing cover 5.0L mercruiser

ghostrider_four

I need to know if there is a way to re install a new cover without pulling the engine. I cannot get the lip of the cover to go back into the oil pan. The pan gasket that fits in the groove will not allow me to roll it in. Is there something else I can try? Can I cut the lip off the cover and leave the flat part and go straight in with it using alot of RTV?

I know exactly what your issue is and Im sorry for you!!!! What you are trying to do is a real bit ch. It can be done but using alot of RTV and cutting off the lip of the gasket is not likely going to work. Been there done that. The RTV will act like a lubricant and the gasket will just push out. Youll have a real mess and leaks. Really need to pull the engine for access to the oil pan to do it right. If you mouse the thing in there you will be cussin that leak for yrs to come. Only way is if you can loosin the pan bolts all around, just enough to get the gasket in, but then you chance having oil leaks around the pan. Good Luck!!!

You know after some further thought It can be done. Its been a long time and Im old so cut me a little slack here. Picture this. You got the timing cover going into the slot between the oil pan and block, using a rubber mallot, tap the cover down over the lip of the pan working it back and forth. You'll need to tap the cornors in very slowly and carefully while pushing down and in, be carefull of the crankshaft seal cause you can tear it on the crankshaft. You can squeeze a little RTV into the corners but just a little, otherwise a big ugly mess will apear. It isnt easy and youll be cussin loud but maybe youll be lucky.

Last edited:
Thanks....what i did was cut the sides of the cover off. Just the lip part, because the replacement covers are plastic now. Played around with it a little bit and got it right in.....now how do I tell if I got the harmonic balancer on right? I have an installation tool, but don't think I got it on far enough. How can you tell when it is right??????

Back