Logo

Fresh water coolant elbow gasket

jsocean

Hello...I have enjoyed reading

Hello...I have enjoyed reading the forum. I am working on a used boat I bought a few months back. She has twin VP 250 engines and I think a 280 outdrive (not certain). The issue now is after a maiden run last weekend some coolant is leaking...it looks like at the gasket from the upper elbow. The previous owner must have used some silcon or somekind of gasket material...not sure. My question is are theses gaskets available somewhere? Do you make your own? What is the best approach on these older boats. Thanks in advance.

"El...it took awhile to get ba

"El...it took awhile to get back to the forum. I thought I had it figured out and ordered gaskets from sierra. They were the wrong size and when I did try to replace I found that a bolt has broken off in the cylinder head that attached to the elbow with the thermostat. I am going to try to get the bolt, actually it is a stud, out. Strange that one engine has bolts and the other studs.

The head # is 1326777. Do you know how deep those bolts or studs might be in case I have to drill them out?

Also...I am still trying to confirm what engines I have I thought I had 250A but a mechanic was not sure, we could not find a tag and the gaskets I bought were the wrong size. Could the head # I gave before help figure that out?

Thanks,"

Back