Logo

Free motor

Somebody found a motor next to a rural mailbox. They gave it to me. 1978 20 Merc SS. It was a mess, busted skeg, destroyed prop, all scratched up. Non elec start. Did compression test....125/125. Decided to fix it. When I finished, it was nice....base/clear finish.....flawless. put it on Craigslist. Guy called....said he'd take it $1600. He came out, I ran it in the barrel. He rolled out $1600 in cash. Included was a steel fuel tank with base/clear. He said "put it in the truck". He had a brand new Ford. I said "let me get a blanket and couple cushions". He says "just put it in....it's gonna get scratched up anyway". I looked at him and said "here's your money back.....go find ANOTHER motor". He looked at me like I was insane.....perhaps more insane than I already am, then he just left. I later sold the motor to somebody with some sense to care for their things.

Last edited:
Good story.
I've already painted mine gloss black and it looks good.
Also, I've already found another free motor ( bartered) I have
no money in it.
1973 mercury 7.7 hp 75 with the phase maker. Terrible looking
shape. ALL wiring shot...thick dust everywhere....but overall in sound
shape.
Already rewired it and I'm getting spark on both plugs.
Lower unit oil was filthy but no water.
Another one to fix up.....and man is this thing solid.
Cowl is solid aluminum.

Yes, very well built motors. I really like the older engineering. My only problem was with the non stainless driveshafts. Still looking for 3 7.5 lower units....got beautiful powerheads here.

The 1973 7.5 has a BLACK drive shaft. It's smooth and not pitted.
It looks like some kind of coating. The 1980 seems a to have a as shaft.
Hope I can get the 1973 running....we'll see.

That's typical. I consider the coating inadequate. Bluing is a passivation process in which steel is partially protected against rust using a black oxide coating, much like often used on firearms. SS is the way to go, but it's gotta be good stainless, or it's too soft and splines wear out.

Back