Logo

Found a 70 hp Chrysler for $250 buy or not to buy

Oldboatguy8911

Contributing Member
Found a 70 hp Chrysler forsake for $250.. It's a hell of a deal and he said it has been rebuilt and a full tank of gas ran through it.. When I go to look at said motor what should I look for? What are something's I should check on the motor itself? Any help would be great don't want to get ripped

Wonderful deal -go for it.----------Listen to it run before shelling out the money.-------Call the local dealers and see if they will work on such a motor if you can not do the work yourself !!

Found a 70 hp Chrysler forsake for $250.. It's a hell of a deal and he said it has been rebuilt and a full tank of gas ran through it.. When I go to look at said motor what should I look for? What are something's I should check on the motor itself? Any help would be great don't want to get ripped

Being rebuilt could mean a lot of things, i.e. new bearing, rings, or not, etc. The electronics on the Chryslers especially the older ones are all obsolete and very expensive if you buy the power pac. I would pass on it and look for an OMC motor. Readily available parts and very plentiful.

Bill

Bought the motor, it was sitting up on a stand when I got there, guy was a straight shooter.
Motor had been sitting up for a year, hooked up a gas tank and after turning it over for couple try's it cranked up and sounded great!! I dropped him down to $200, there is no steering shaft for the cable. I have been having trouble finding the steering tube and shaft.. Also I have to get some cables and control box, trying to find a combo without getting raped on price.. I need to wire up a ignition switch to the motor. I sold my 74 merc thunderbolt 650 for $150 (thing had more problems than I knew what to do with) cant complain though I traded a purebreed boxer for the motor..
I cannot wait to run this on my 15ft astroglass cougar it should fly!

Teleflex has the adapters and parts you need to make your steering work on that motor.
Also a couple of hose clamps and a steering connector might work.
Just clamp the steering cable to the front/underside.

Back