Logo

Flywheel

P

pauly

" Hi there. I have a 1995 75hp

" Hi there. I have a 1995 75hp Mercury outboard. While manually rotating the flywheel I noticed that in one of the positions, when pulling the wheel towards myself and shaking it slightly, there seemed to be about 1mm of play. You could hardly see it at all, but there was a slight sound of metal hitting metal. Is this acceptable? Any suggestions would be appreciated. The flywheel is wrenched down according to rec. specs. Thanks, Pauly. "

Have a Chrysler 45hp md # 457

Have a Chrysler 45hp md # 457HD s/n 1317. What is the year of manufacture?

"Jim:
You should have posted

"Jim:
You should have posted this as a "new conversation" by scrolling to the bottom of the Outboard Motors topics page.
We have a page that lists Chrysler Outboard Models, but I notice that it shows that model with some others as 1970 - 1977. But the 457HD is 1972 according to my indexes.

Pauly:
Hopefully someone else will still answer your question here."

" pauly,

Since no-one

" pauly,

Since no-one has commented on it, here's my best guess. Keep in mind I'm just a hack that's owned and worked on a few outboards. I think you are speaking of some type of horizontal play in the crank.. if you are speaking of rotational play when you turn the flywheel back and forth - that's normal, everything inside has a tolerance for play.

There's a bearing on the top and bottom of the crankshaft; there is a tolerance for play vertically, which is put into spec through bushings. There's probably some tolerance for horizontal play as well, but those bearings can wear. I believe, the noise you will get when that bearing starts to wear excessivley is described as a "whirr"; I've never heard it, just have read about it. I don't think it's very common to have to replace these bearings though, and on a 1995, used for recreational purposes, I doubt you've put the hours on it to actually wear out a bearing there. If there is excessive play there, it must be the bearing; to replace the bearings, it's going to require damn close to a rebuild and you may as well rebuild at that point. I doubt that 1mm of play is excessive and unless it's doing something or making a noise that makes you think the crank has too much slop, my recomendation would be to forget about it until it does.

Jon "

" Jon. Thank you for respondi

" Jon. Thank you for responding. I spoke to a few people and they are under the same impression. It should not have happened, but it seems the bearing has ruptured or been modified. I am currently begging a local outboard guru to help me split the powerhead on the side as labour alone would be expensive. Thanks for the response. Looks like a busy winter ahead. Pauly "

" Pauly,

It shouldn&#

" Pauly,

It shouldn't be all that big of a deal; one thing first though - check the compression and think about whether a full rebuild might be appropriate while you're in there. My guess, just the bearing is about 10 hours amature labor.

Jon "

Back