Logo

flushing options tohatsu 9.8 xls

Hi folks! New member here. Great forum.

I have no fresh water at the dock for my homebuilt sailing cat with dual ob,s

I thought of making up a bucket with a hose connected to a set of earmuffs, and using rain water to flush. Would such a gravity fed rig have enough pressure? Any other ideas? I though of a 'feed bag" setup like a canvas bucket or something to pass down and around the lower unit and fill that with h2o but it would be a pain to do due to the way things are set up- I have the ob's mounted on a vertical sliding track (like a guillotine)
Any other ideas or warnings? Thanks!

Charly

In order to flush the MFS9.8A3, you will need to have adequate fresh water supply, and you will need to run the motor. Muffs typically require domestic water pressure (at least 30 psi), and they leak a lot where they attach to the gearcase. The 9.8 also has a flushing port adjacent to the LU lube level plug, so as an alternative, you could block off the inlet strainers and feed to the flushing port. That would still require some pressure to avoid starving the motor's water pump. Perhaps an inline "booster" pump such as the Rule iL500 could supply enough volume to keep the motor from starving: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/mar...p-il500-plus-in-line-submersible-pump-12v.htm

In order to flush the MFS9.8A3, you will need to have adequate fresh water supply, and you will need to run the motor. Muffs typically require domestic water pressure (at least 30 psi), and they leak a lot where they attach to the gearcase. The 9.8 also has a flushing port adjacent to the LU lube level plug, so as an alternative, you could block off the inlet strainers and feed to the flushing port. That would still require some pressure to avoid starving the motor's water pump. Perhaps an inline "booster" pump such as the Rule iL500 could supply enough volume to keep the motor from starving: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/mar...p-il500-plus-in-line-submersible-pump-12v.htm

Thank you.
In my case, it it difficult to access the lower unit, especially the flush port. There is a good likelihood that I would drop the screw into the drink, so i am reluctant to mess with it, even when the motor is fully raised. I think I will try to find a bucket or something that will fit over the lower unit that I can fill with fresh h2o after putting it in position. This may be a crazy question but is there any kind of additive you could put into the flushing water to prolong the life of the impeller and passages?

This salt-away product.....does it have to be used with
a garden hose and "ear-muffs"? Or, can the concentrate
be added to a trash can full of water and the engine run
for an extended period in the solution? Looks like a quart
runs about $20.

I don't have any experience using it that way, but the manufacturer claims you can mix up a bucket and dip items in it, so I would say it should work.

Back