Logo

FLUSHING 225hp Honda in harbor slip (salt water) not a 100% flush?

805bigdrake

I KEEP MY BOAT IN A SLIP - SALT WATER. (IMPORTANT POINT)

Honda 225hp engine. Year 2011

I have my 225hp Honda outboard (2011) serviced every 100 hours. Yet, my ‘OVERHEAT ALARM” went off (light and alarm) nearing the 100 hour mark last week. Had boat trailered by Honda certified dealer to their shop and they told me it was most likely a “lazy thermostat” issue and replaced them. I went out the next morning and after 10 minutes the "OVERHEAT ALARM” went off once again so I called the certified Honda mechanics and they told me they were stumped and they would come and trailer it back to dealership and find out what’s going on. Two days later they called me and said that they removed the “cover behind the thermostats”(?) and it was plugged with salt and they were absolutely sure that was the problem and they were correct. Boat now runs awesome. Very happy.

So, when I flush my engine after EVERY use in my harbor slip (using hose connector so I cannot start the engine says manual) it’s apparently NOT a 100% flush? What can I do since I do not own a trailer? Is it possible to remove the thermostats while in slip and (not every time, but once in a while) then squirt in some “Salt Away” or something similar and let it sit for a couple of days? Would that do it? Or, do I pay to have the dealership remove the cover plate behind the thermostats and clean it out every once in a while? Is it costly (dealership did not charge me) to remove the cover plate behind the thermostats? Has anyone experienced these issue as well?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Drake

The best is to rig up a platform of sorts so you can put flushing ears on your motor. You can safely run it tilted up. If that motor is not flushed properly you'll end up destroying it with corrosion.

Back