Logo

Float level

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
OMC recommends using a special float level gage for setting the proper height. Can I just set the top of the float level with the bowl seating surface?

From the best of my knowledge with experience with some smaller omc outboards, they're not necessary. However I have a couple and if you want I can send one your way. They're included in the carb kits.

Scott..."a hair beyond" can be interpreted either way. Do you mean the float sitting slightly downward or slightly upward?

From the best of my knowledge with experience with some smaller omc outboards, they're not necessary. However I have a couple and if you want I can send one your way. They're included in the carb kits.

Jay....That's very kind of you to offer that to me.

Scott..."a hair beyond" can be interpreted either way. Do you mean the float sitting slightly downward or slightly upward?
I would not have thought so but OK Just set it to level then. And no it cannot be interpreted any other way.

Last edited:
You have to remember the carb is upside down.. so if it’s set higher.. when flip over float will be lower.. there for it will take less fuel to set the needle in seat.

You have to remember the carb is upside down.. so if it’s set higher.. when flip over float will be lower.. there for it will take less fuel to set the needle in seat.
No if you flip the carb upside down and go just beyond level. Which is the float has a slight downward angle TOWARD THE BODY. So when you flip it over the float level is higher meaning more fuel in the bowl. Now if you stopped just short of level which is a slight angle AWAY from the body. When you flip it over that float is lower meaning less fuel in the bowl.

We are saying the same thing.. but if you were to measure that float from base slightly higher would mean a bigger measurement.. when you are saying slightly higher you are saying fuel level so it would be a smaller measurement.. and pointed down towards the base.

We are saying the same thing.. but if you were to measure that float from base slightly higher would mean a bigger measurement.. when you are saying slightly higher you are saying fuel level so it would be a smaller measurement.. and pointed down towards the base.
I am out do it however you want. Evinrude does NOT have measurements for there floats.

Last edited:
Ok you are telling him to set fuel level slightly higher,, meaning pointed down on opposite side of pin when carb is upside down, I’m telling him to set it slightly lower.. meaning float is slightly up on side opposite of pin when carb is upside down. There is a reason this.. high fuel level in the floats riches the entire spectrum of the carb.. meaning, idle circuit, pilot, and main circuit, lower fuel level than level prevents this.

Ok you are telling him to set fuel level slightly higher,, meaning pointed down on opposite side of pin when carb is upside down, I’m telling him to set it slightly lower.. meaning float is slightly up on side opposite of pin when carb is upside down. There is a reason this.. high fuel level in the floats riches the entire spectrum of the carb.. meaning, idle circuit, pilot, and main circuit, lower fuel level than level prevents this.
Lower runs the risk of a lean condition especially on motors with TNT. like I said do what you want

If you would have been best said "float level or pointed slightly down". Then it would have been crystal clear. "Level or a hair beyond" is ambiguous.

Back