Logo

Fllywheel puller

M

mark talley

where can i get a flywheel pu

where can i get a flywheel puller for my 50-hp johnaon outboard?

"Mark.... I have the OMC pulle

"Mark.... I have the OMC puller of course (not for sale), and also have a puller that was purchased at a automotive parts store, or NAPA... I really forget which. At any rate, I found that either puller worked rather well.

The puller must be designed so that it has three slotted holes spaced evenly so that three bolts of the proper thread (same thread as what's in the three flywheel holes surrounding the crankshaft) can be inserted into those threaded holes. The bolts should obviously be threaded so that they are even in height so as pull straight upwards.

The center portion of the puller should have a hefty threaded shank (not one of those 1/2" diameter shafts) with a pointed bottom end that will self center in the indentation that you see in the top of the crankshaft, and a top portion that will endure the power of hitting it with a good size hammer.

The OMC puller is of course the best puller by far, but you might want to check out the other type puller I mention due to the price factor. Just a thought.

Joe
"

" I have been trying to remove

" I have been trying to remove the flywheel from a 1969 Johnson, 40HP, model#40EL-69R. I am using a harmonic balancer puller with plenty of PB Blaster(pentrating lubricant)and an impact wrench.I've broken several bolts(fortunately I have been able to remove them). It just won't come off. Any suggestions? "

" Yes, If it's not broken

" Yes, If it's not broken, don't fix it. I have seen people break the crankshaft on the 40hp trying to remove a stubborn flywheel. One suggestion, if it must come off, Loose the impact. You are more likely to do some terminal damage with it. Instead, crank down good and tight with a good long 1/2" breaker bar. You will need a pistonstop or some other device to hold the flywheel from turning. When good and tight, smack the puller bolt with a large hammer. If this does not work after several tries, reread first line of this message. "

Back