Logo

Flame Arrestor for Edelbrock 1409

Jfreeman1412

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys I just changed the carb on a 73 318 to a 1409 (thanks to the info on this Forum...Thanks)but my flame arrestor dose not fit now. I See that some are retrofitting but i am not sure mine is tall enough. Any one know anything about it? Or where to pick up a couple for a good price? Thanks.

Flame arrestor.jpg

Looks alot like this one.

Being a cheapskate, I used the flame arrestor from the Carter AFB that I replaced. Had to increase the opening size a tad; an easy fix with tin snips & a file...

Attachments

• DSCN2181.jpg
    DSCN2181.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN3388.jpg
    DSCN3388.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCN3914.jpg
    DSCN3914.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Me too! Had to grind on it a bit with a pencil grinder, but the little darlings fit just fine.

Jeff

PS: Are we related?

Ooops! I also used a carbide bit. Didn't mean to confuse the issue. (Those grinding stones are useless.)

Congrats on getting it done.

Jeff

Hey guys what we ended up doing is using about 2-3 inches of 5 or 6 inch Heat ducting to raise it up and it worked great. The 1409 comes with an long rod anyways and it fit perfect. I will post pics when i get back out to the boat.

Agreed on double clamping that copper tube/ rubber hose connection. I use the same filters on mine--with double clamps--and it makes them a breeze to change.

Jeff

Remove the heating duct and see if that has an affect on your rpm problem. Seeing those stacks on a stock engine don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

-JJ

JJ
I will give it a shot, but it the same on the other engine and it runs great! Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I thought about that after I said it. If the other engine is running good with the stack, then it shouldn't be the issue. But, you should consider all of the changes you have made since the problems started.

The stack on that engine might not be the direct cause of your problem, but taking it off might give you some more clues as to what is going on.

-JJ

Back