Logo

Fixing Evinrude 1982 140hp- Lots of Questions

taffkid

Greetings,

I am trying to fix up a 1982 140 HP Evinrude that has sat for seven years and I am running into problems.

I went through the lower unit yesterday. I also cleaned the carbs and the fuel filter. The engine starts and idles OK and water flow looks OK.

Problem 1: The top right (starboard) head gets a lot hotter than the port side heads. The port side runs at what I would consider normal temperature based on my experience with my 35 HP Evinrude. The starboard side is too hot to touch for more than a second.

Problem 2: The bottom port side cylinder has milky fouling on the spark plug which I am sure is water. Also, this cylinder has no observable compression. (I don't have a compression tester at the moment but I am in the process of getting one) I did the "finger in the hole, rotate the flywheel" test and there is virtually no compression in that cylinder.

Problem 3: At fast idle the engine exhausts a lot of smoke. At low idle there is very little visible exhaust.

Problem 4: The engine seems to have a loud knock or rattle, sort of like a piston bearing knock but not like any I have heard before. I am having a hard time isolating the noise, but with the other problems it sounds like it could be piston-related.

I am realizing that this may be more work than I can handle. I am OK down to the head gaskets, but past there is beyond my experience.

Any troubleshooting advice, tips, and all other information is greatly appreciated.

Re: Fixing Evinrude 140- Lots of Questions

#1 Did you replace the water pump when you went through the lower unit>
#2 Pull the cylinder head and see if it is blown, would allow water into the cylinder and cause low compression.
#3 It's a 2 cycle, smoke caused by amount of oil in gas.
#4 Look at the piston while you have the cylinder head off, may need to remove the other cylinder head and look at the pistons and cylinder bores.

daviet, thanks for your reply. I replaced the water pump impeller but not the surrounding parts.

I tested the compression and have no compression in the lower port side cylinder (the wet one). The other three are so low that they just wiggle the needle on the compression tester.

The lower unit also leaks water so I am going to have to repair that. There are some deep gouges in the lower unit housing near the front, so it looks like this engine collided with something. The propeller looks great though.

I am reluctant to throw more money at this engine if both the power head and the lower unit have major issues. I really need a shop manual, but at $100 I can't buy one unless I am fairly certain I can fix this thing.

Pull the cylinder heads and check for piston and/or cylinder damage, this should give you an idea of damage and if you want to proceed with repairs.

Re: Fixing Evinrude 140- Ruined Piston and Head

Pulled the heads today. The starboard side cylinders and pistons look OK as far as I can tell.

The port side... The bottom piston has been hitting the head. The piston is badly scarred and there is a lot of melted metal on the head. The head gasket is also warped but the head does not look warped, so I don't know what happened there. The piston wiggles a lot inside the cylinder compared to the other three, which is probably why it hits the head. What causes that to happen?

The cylinder also has water and rust in it.

Will the one bad cylinder cause the other three to have low compression?

Based on my reading on this forum it looks like I need a total rebuild. Does that mean I need to have all four cylinders bored, new pistons, rods, rings, etc..., and new heads? The port side head obviously needs to be replaced.

Is it easier to pull the engine and break it down or break it down in the housing? I could not get the exhaust cover off due to not being able to get to the bottom bolts, so that is why I think it would be easier to pull the engine first.

I am still trying to decide if I can tackle this with some help from a friend or two, or if this is a lost cause.

Here is a link to photos of the motor and parts:http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffkid/sets/72157624430171790/

Thanks for your help.

I think you should sit down and list all the parts you are going to need to overhaul your engine, price them out and see how much just the parts are going to cost.
Rebuilding your engine is not something I would suggest for a novice mechanic, lots to go wrong if you screw something up.
Maybe look for a used or remanufactured powerhead.

oh my...I am playing Taps on my Trumpet now...

Sorry to say that engine needs a complete tear down..

If it helps...I would consider buying some of the parts :)

oh my...I am playing Taps on my Trumpet now...

Sorry to say that engine needs a complete tear down..

If it helps...I would consider buying some of the parts :)

Thanks for the offer. I haven't decided what to do yet but I will PM you if I decide to part it out.

Back