Logo

first motor, 72 9.5, running rough

iblandford

Please bear with me, this is my first boat motor, and need some advise on what needs to be done to get it to run right. I believe I have a 1972 evinrude sportwin 9.5. The model number is 9222m and the serial number is 016347. Its running rough right now, and Im sure it could use a tune up. Ive only ran it in a drum so far, but this is what i've noticed. It will start up in neutral, while giving it a little bit of gas. It idles rough and smokes. There is not much water coming out when in idle, but when in forward, it will let out a little more, not a steady stream, but there is a little. The water temp coming out is pretty hot, so I didn't want to run it too long. Not sure how hot it is suppose to be, but figured too hot isn't good. I've looked at the plugs, didn't look terrible, but a little dirty. I figured I should go get fresh gas, and plugs for it tomorrow and try again. What plugs do I need to get? 50:1 gas mixture? any other help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Excellent fishing motor.-----Motors need maintenance !--------If it is a " new to you " motor you should install a new impeller for the waterpump.----Do a proper spark test as it must jump a gap of 1/4" with a snap you can hear.----If it can not do that the magneto must be inspected.-----Cracked coils are common on those.

Back