Logo

First boat ignition problems.

Sterlingtopp

Good evening everyone. I purchased my first boat a few weeks ago. It’s a 1985 fisher 16 foot with a 40hp mariner 2 stroke. The serial is 40el 6e9l418298. I understand it’s a 40c model twin carb with out auto mix. I have rebuilt the carbs and done a bit of other work on the motor and got it running good. The problem is the key does not shut the motor off and I have to pull the emergency kill cord. I pulled the ignition switch out and see only 3 wires are hooked up. There is a white wire coming out of the kill switch and pig tails but isn’t connected to anything. From hours of searching the web I figured it’s the kill circuit wire. It I touch it to ground it kills the motor. I have been searching for a replacement switch with new keys but all the new ones have multi colored wires that don’t match mine and no oem parts are available. I have attached some pictures. The key is not a push to choke since there is a switch below for choke. I’m assuming it’s factory this way because it says Mariner. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That is a Yamaha in all but name and colour. So you need to look for a Yamaha ignition switch. And yes, white on Yamaha is the kill circuit.

Thank you for the response. I figured it didn’t look factory. The switch I ordered should match up properly. I will hook it up this weekend and see if it works.

Back