Logo

FINISH

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
not a crusader question but yo

not a crusader question but you guys seem to have some reasonably good answers.i bought an older silverton 1985 34ft that was neglected over the past 4-5 years.the gel coat finish is dull. i tried some cleaner/polishers that didnt seem to really work.any thoughts on bringing back a decent shine to this?

"The usual procedure is wet sa

"The usual procedure is wet sanding with 400 grit, followed by 600 to 1200, followed by machine compounding.

Jeff"

"followed by Imron or Algrip.

"followed by Imron or Algrip. Reportedly, old gel coat, although CAN be brought back, doesn't last. I love my polyurethane topside finish. Glossy horiz surfaces in FL sun, over a dozen years now."

"3m compound and then a good w

"3m compound and then a good wax. My '74 Pacemaker still shines so don't give up on gelcoat just yet.
Another option is polyglow, but to me that is extreme.
url]
"

"I'd certainly exhaust all

"I'd certainly exhaust all efforts at saving even old Gel Coat before applying paint!
Painting a hull would be a "Last Ditch" effort ONLY for me, IMO.

I'd rather have a dull G/C finish, than a Paint Finish that may offer issues down the road! To me, that offers a terrible appearance!
Again, IMOO here.

."

"Rich; That is a beautiful fi

"Rich; That is a beautiful finish on your boat.
With the S. Fl sun, my '73 would have no lasting gloss at all without poly paint. And, 37 years on constant sitting in salt water has forced me to remove all bottom side gel coat and put on 6 coats of west epoxy with barrier additive. Its tough down here!"

I saw a warning that shrink wr

I saw a warning that shrink wrap not to be used on boats painter with imron or awlgrip.... True? Find it hard to believe...

"I would think any painted boa

"I would think any painted boat. All it takes is a little dirt to be on the surface and once the shrink wrap (or any covering) that is left there for a long time starts to move, it acts like sandpaper and will quickly cut through the paint."

I know several guys who TRAILE

I know several guys who TRAILERED (imagine that ? )their bikes from NJ to Daytona for bike week and covered them with a tarp for "protection" only to find a well sanded rub mark where the tarp was flappin' against.

"That happened to one of my ca

"That happened to one of my cars that got moved inside a moving van. Got a nice settlement over that, then repainted it myself for chump change.

jeff"

Back