Logo

Fiberglass hull question

starlight

"I know this isn't an engi

"I know this isn't an engine question, but I need to find all the help I can. And you guys are smart. I have a fiberglass V-hull houseboat. We beach it often to tie to shore. The hull right on the bow is getting worn down so that I can see the fiberglass. Every year I put on Marine Tex goop, but it gets worn away. What is the system to apply goopy stuff, then mesh webbing, then more goopy stuff? what brand? How to?
Thanks"

"try some west system epoxy re

"try some west system epoxy resin and hardener along with some fiberglass cloth/tape. when the area is dry, smear on some mixed resin and hardener (acts like glue) and slap on the fiberglass cloth. then, really wet out the material with even more resin/hardener mix. remember to prep the area well and if possible, scour the surrounding gelcoat a bit so there's some grip for the material to cling to. you may need to do this process a few times to build up the surface, sand, do it again etc. After that, i would continue to build up just along the V edge so you have some buffer material to bury into the sand."

"After repairing look for some

"After repairing look for some products that are a guard strip(hull guard, hull saver?)that attach to the V area to keep the sand from causing the damage you describe.
If the glass fibers are beginning to show you will start to get moisture in there. Be sure that the area is rather dry before you repair. If boat is stored outside hang a tarp over it for a couple weeks so are won't get rained on, you don't want to repair over wet fiberglass. Rough it up with sandpaper, clean with acetone, then repair with fiberglass cloth then mat wetted out with resin. Epoxy is stronger but you have to clean/sand off the amine blush(develops when epoxy cures) really well if you want to use polyester resin based gel coat on top. If you need it to look pretty and perfect don't practice on a visible area of the boat. Most of the learning curve is learning to handle and mix the resins and applying the right layers of cloth and mat. See if you can find a piece of old boat at your marina that you can practice on and be sure to wear breathing protection when you sand fiberglass. Buy a book and supplies from an online place, they will gladly sell you everything you need. Get an estimate from a boatyard and after you pick your jaw up off the ground you'll probably get more willing to do it yourself. Do you know anyone with any "glass" experience?
Eddie"

The hull/ keel saver product i

The hull/ keel saver product is just what you need. Search the web for the correct name. (I had some literature on them but can't find it).

Jeff

"If you use the West System or

"If you use the West System or Fiber Glass for repair , use masking tape to tape off an outline around the area. I don't stick it on completely, I use the 2"wide, & just stick the side closest to the repair area, then pull the other side away to form a drip lip.
Ive seen many repair that the West runs streams down from the repair area, they are near impossible to chip / sand off.

Fred 156-M"

I agree with Ted...if your goi

I agree with Ted...if your going to continue beaching it...fix it so you never have to again. Any metal shop could shape a piece of stainless sheet to fit your keel/bow.

"Ted, Rollie,
Are these wha

"Ted, Rollie,
Are these what you are talking about? http://www.classicboating.com/Cutwaters_Ladders.html

Pretty sharp!
Do all these require drilling holes when attaching to fiberglass or can they be a bond on??
If one has a guard fabricated out of 304SS what thickness and what would one use for bonding to the glass hull and not drilling any holes?
Any ideas on cost for 7' of the SS?

Thanks,
DS"

"Dave, if you want it to be th

"Dave, if you want it to be that decorative then go for it..my idea was a piece that ended just above the water line....just the area in contact with the beach. (and 4 or 5 inches out either side of the centre of V) The next time you haul out, arrange for a metal shop to measure it up and fab a piece to fit. You should be able to epoxy it to the hull without screws."

Back