Logo

Few questions about a johnson lower end

1986 90hp Johnson VRO. I bought this motor on a whim, bad choice but I made it. We ran it on a stand with muffs, ran great, power heads never got above 150 deg, didn't smoke...etc Got it home and noticed some blue oil leaking from the prop, figured it was 2 stroke oil. Today I removed the lower plug to drain the lower and a bunch of water and dark bue/green oil came out. I have heard of dark blue lower oil used in the merc's, I'm assuming this is it.

After tearing the lower off I found silicon around the water inlet, and a cracked impellar blade. There is no play around the driveshaft at the seal, and it looks good. I can also put it into reverse and forward, turn the prop and it turns the driveshaft. I can hear a light clicking from the gears turning, but no clunking or hang ups so I'm hopeful the bottom end is ok. I guess I need a prop shaft seal and I'm wondering if that's an easy job.

Also, how would I go about flushing the lower end for new oil? Also the motor num is j90tlcdc. Does anyone know the part #'s to replace the prop seal?

Last edited:
It's leaking from behind the bearing carrier. I see some bolts down there, if I remove those can this carrier be pulled out? Do I need to remove anything else to get it out and how the heck does it go back in?

Back