Logo

FD-11 gear case repair

PTus324541

New to these outboards. On my short shaft FD-11 gear case there is a bronze bushing area just below the upper seal. This bushing area is worn out on my case with about .010/.012" oversize. The shaft is worn about .005" in this area as well. The drawings do not show a part for this bushing area. Looking at it, it does not look like it was intended to be removed or serviced. I put the shaft in the lathe and polished up the worn area. This leaves me with .015/.017" slop around the drive shaft. I put the case together with new seals and it did not leak a drop of oil turned upside down for a day. I worry this slop might cause the upper seal to leak while running. After running about 15 minutes in a can the water seemed oily. After draining the motor had grey oily wet goo draining out of the weep hole near the impeller area. Not sure if this is from the gas/oil mix or if I have contaminated the gear oil? I will check the gear oil later today for contamination.
Has anyone ever repaired a case that was worn like this? I was thinking of setting it up in the mill to bore out the worn bronze and making a custom oilite bushing on the lathe to press in. I also thought of adding an internal oring groove toward the top of this new bushing to combat the shaft being .005 under size. Is oilite the correct bushing material or should it be straight brass for some reason?
Any thoughts or ideas on this possible problem would be appreciated! Best outcome is my gear oil is clean and the grey goo is normal, may be wishful thinking!

Thanks, PT

They used that gearcase for many many years.----Should not be hard to find a good used case in my opinion.----Visit ---aomci----Post a free wanted ad.

How's the pinion bearing? It's cast in place also. Since you have a mill, you probably can bore out the old bushings and make new ones. I assume you have the skills?

I'd use 932 bearing br0nze if I were doing it.

That sludge in the can is the oil you put in the gas. Normal. Don't jump to conclusions concerning the gear oil.

Great news on the can oil, the pinion bearing was good. I am familiar with the 932 bronze, turns like a dream. Yes, I could do the job if needed. I have replaced everything else on this motor and just want to sell it for a decent price. It runs so good, it will be hard for me to sell. I knew I wouldn't get anything if I didn't have it running and in good shape. Where is the best place to list a boat and motor like this? It's on a 1957 Dura Craft 14' aluminum boat with a homemade trailer. Trailer looks rough but is very unique. It telescopes out 8' to the rear if needed, has shocks, and leaf springs. Never seen a rig like that.
By the way, I am in Lago Vista, TX on lake Travis. Close to Austin.
Thanks, PT

Back