Logo

Fastrac Tilt/Trim Blow Out 1997 Evinrude 175 Ocean Pros

Hi, I have twin 1997 Evinrude 175 Ocean Pros (E175EXEUC) on my 1989 GW Sailfish 25. The other day I went to tilt up my port motor when the T/T cylinder housing blew out, leaving the motor stuck in the down position. I was able to raise the engine and support it on the trailer bracket by using the starboard motor and a rope. I hauled the boat and removed the T/T assembly at which time I discovered a hole in the lower port side trim cylinder body where the fluid was exiting. The hole is about 3/8 in diameter and has some pitting around it. It appears to have been threaded at one time, maybe for a fitting or a plug. Does anyone know the purpose of this hole and what would be the best way to go about plugging this up. my first thought is to tap the hole, fill it with a aluminum plug and TIG weld it. I would of course disassemble the cylinders before welding it and then replace the seals with the kit I have ordered. I looked into relacing the whole T/T assembly, but the shop near me wanted $650 for a rebuilt one with mine as a core. Can't see doing that. Any advice would be appreciated. Harry

tilt trim hole.jpgtilt trim hole.jp2g.jpg

Wound up making a aluminum plug and welding it. There was so much rot that needed to be ground away, making the wall dangerously thin around the diameter of the hole right up to the top of the cylinder. It was tricky to get good penetration without over-heating and warping the body. Replaced all seals and O-rings and installed it back on boat. So far so good.

tilt trim hole3.jp2g.jpgtilt trim hole.jp4g.jpg

Back