Logo

Fast idle OK, dies when throttles up in gear.

Thurstmw

I have a whaler with a 1985ish mercury mariner 75, 4 cylinder 2 stroke.

It was running great (or at least pretty good) for a couple test runs. But now I am having trouble with it.

When it first started acting up it started surging a bit at high throttle and occasionally dying. Then for a while it would run in gear at ~2-2500rpm but die if I gave it more throttle. Now it will sometimes run at 2k but often just die when I shift it into gear at all, and will always die if give it more throttle.

Throughout this though it revs up fine when not it gear, makes it to 4k-4500+ and sounds fine to an untrained ear. For a while it seemed to be a little slow to rev up all the way, would sit at 3500 for a few seconds and slowly work it’s way up, but now it seems to be going straight there.

My uninformed idea is that is a clogged jet… but would it still be able to make it to 4500 while not in gear if that was the case?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

You should not be revving the motor to 4500 RPM in neutral !----Post the compression test results here.----The actual numbers.----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads., yes or no ?---Use a spark test device.-----Might also be as simple as opening the low speed mixture screws 1/4 turn.-----New water pump impeller every 3 years ?

Back