Logo

Fast Idle control cable

jnscherr

Contributing Member
Can anyone tell me if this cab

Can anyone tell me if this cable is adjustable or does it have to be replaced. When I lift the fast idle lever and push it down it's not returning to the idle screw.

"should be a black knob on the

"should be a black knob on the engine,give it a few turns that shoul remove the slack in the cable"

"Jamie,
Not knowing just what

"Jamie,
Not knowing just what control you have it is hard to say, but some had a clip held in place by the key switch that had just enough hold too keep the lever from rising up after being pushed down. If this,let's say retainer, has worn it may not be doing the job of holding the lever down any longer. This happens and the result is what you now have and is normal.
Adjusting the cable to allow it to rest all the way down could result in the lever not pulling the throttle enough for the correct high / warm-up idle.

Another cause could be a dry cable or linkage that is starting to hang up. Just a thought.
Good luck."

"like they have said,just adj

"like they have said,just adj the blk plastic round knob at eng,....the clip mr.guest refers to,was an add on,due to the warm -up lever moving up,when u would adv throttle."

"Again, if you change the adju

"Again, if you change the adjustment at the motor it will affect the amount of travel of the throttle. Moving the cable adjustment so the high idle lever sets all the way down could result in the throttle not opening all the way at WOT.

Some remote controls had an adjustment that were for the idle lever. Look on the remote control for this adjustment. IMO you should not change the adjustment at the motor. It is better to find the cause of the problem instead of changing long set adjustments to compensate."

"i have never had a cable adju

"i have never had a cable adjustment on the remote
control,the knob i think you refer to is for friction,and i might add if the warm up lever is not all the way down the remote box will not let you shift into gear."

"Thanks everyone for you help.

"Thanks everyone for you help. There is a seperate cable for the fast idle and the throttle. The clip that you are talking about is working fine. I adjusted the slack in the cable with the plastic round blk knob. This resolved everything. As far as it affecting the WOT, I'll find out this weekend."

Guest can you elaborate on thi

Guest can you elaborate on this?? "Moving the cable adjustment so the high idle lever sets all the way down could result in the throttle not opening all the way at WOT"

"Hey nicknack2, areyou asking

"Hey nicknack2, areyou asking Guest to elaborate because he's right? Will it affect the throttle adjustment?"

"here is how to adj....push wa

"here is how to adj....push warm up lever down...adj cable till idle screw rests on stop,if it was adj right for idle spd,..ck for WOT open butterflies.....if u cant keep a good adj,its new cable time,and poss box prob's.Your idle screw,may not be set correctly to begin with,..remember,it is an adjustment TOO.."

"Jamie I'm asking because

"Jamie I'm asking because I want to know, I don’t know how the cold lever can affect the WOT settings... not being a smart a** I just do not know how and that knowledge would be valuable to me..."

"I wasn't saying you we&#3

"I wasn't saying you we're being a smart a**. I just thought you wanted him to expain himself better so that I would better understand. Anyways, I think he was righ because I took the boat out today and it wouldn't accelerate without stalling and ran fine before. I think it's time to take it in and get serviced by someone who knows what they're doing instead of me just guessing."

Back