Logo

Fascinating paper on water ingestion

"Poor exhaust manifold enginee

"Poor exhaust manifold engineering is indeed a very significant cause of engine damage. It makes me wonder how much effort was really put into manifold/elbow engineering, as poor engineering by the same company manufacturing the motors enhances motor sales. Even Mercruiser's newest dry joint elbow, as "high tech" as it is, will rust through from salt water eventually, allowing the salt water into the exhaust ruining a motor. In addition to the lip, preventing resonance reversion, why isn't more work done with various stainless steel alloys for manifolds and elbows? I know they have been offered in the past. I don't know why they aren't being offered anymore.
Maybe someone has the answer."

"The most 'famous' one

"The most 'famous' one with this problem back in my home territory back in late 80's, was the Sierra manifold for the Volvo 4-cyl engines. Looked like original, except for a missing divider 'wall'. Lost count of how many almost brand new manifolds I had to throw due to water intrusion and water damage of exhaust port cyl4!!!"

"Interesting paper, indeed. Pe

"Interesting paper, indeed. Personally, I am glad my GM 350 is carburated and the exhaust bellows has a flapper."

"It's actually a managemen

"It's actually a management problem that is common in many American companies. They replace senior engineers who they actually have to pay real money to, who've learned their trade over the years, with "fresh-outs" at 1/3 the price. I've seen it in several industries and at many companies. The death knell is when a "human resource" mentality develops, and skilled practitioners of their art become interchangeable cogs in the company machine and just another commodity that is subject to "sourcing", just like pencils and copy machine paper."

"Don't agree with it being

"Don't agree with it being a 'management' problem, it is a pure $$$$ problem!!
In production it is about saving dollars in both tooling and production cost. Then comes the next, and that is when it gets into the customers hand. They want as well to save the $$$ as far as possible both when it comes to replacing parts, and in a lot of cases when it comes to service costs.
Exhaust manifolds are a service part as well as oil and filters. Anyone running ex-manifolds more than 10 years are asking for trouble. Changing the manifold AFTER the engine has been filled with water, is like changing oil and filter after the engine has seized up due to lack of lubrication!
As for the comment above about SST manifolds/raisers - the ones I've seen have been shorter lived than the cast iron ones. The BMW D150 a typical example. The main problem is to neutralize the welding. That is where they all start to leak."

"There was a man a week or so

"There was a man a week or so ago, who asked if it was OK to NOT run flappers in his OMC Y pipe. (Apparently they were on back order and he was anxious to go boating.)
I need not mention what advice was given."

Back