Logo

Factory vs aftermarket repair manual

georgel

what do folks recommend. I hav

what do folks recommend. I have a 1967 20 HP Johnson. The Factory manual covers all models / sizes. Seems a lot. the after market covers all 2 cyl. motors. So which is most appropriate to an Outboard novice. I have auto and machinery repair experience but no OB motor experience.

well thats a opinion I sell a

well thats a opinion I sell a equal amount of both with the online manual a lot as well.
my opinion they are both intended to provide the same info but both have different authors so they read differently.
I have many Seloc paper backs
I have many Seloc online manuals
I also have oem manual's from the early 1920 and up

"----factory service manual on

"----factory service manual only----
seloc,clymers,does not go into depth,ie--remove lower unit,..how do i do that?....they have gotten better over the yrs,..and good ,'basic'..info..if u intend to get into detail on ur eng,factory is the only "

"I prefer the pirate copied OE

"I prefer the pirate copied OEM.
The info is the best, and normally even the price!!!
Hope that answer your question?
wink.gif
"

"thanks, for the replies. I ju

"thanks, for the replies. I just ordered a 1978 edition of the factory manual from ABE books. My favorite source for out of print books. I don't usually find a lot there for OEM automotive manuals but got a lot of hits for Johnson. $15.00. Hopefully I will have it in a week or so. [free shipping, slow but??] I was able to acquire a clean used barrel for a test station from a FG shop for free. I have a plasma cutter for removing the top but likely will not use it as the fumes are potent. So will use the low tech hi muscle solution. [cold chisel] With any luck I may have it running before the manual arrives."

OOPs. The Manual came today. I

OOPs. The Manual came today. Its for 1978 25 to 35 HP engines. different beasts than my 67 20 hp. Pirate edition? CD ??

"Thanks, I was trying to save

"Thanks, I was trying to save a few $ and buy a used manual. Is there an on line schematic for the ignition system on this beasty. The current ignition switch is a newer plastic model and the local dealer is of the opinion that it won't work. Of course I have no key for it. But It looks like a push button, a kill switch and a choke switch would replace the original at a lower cost. ??"

"Sorry, I can't help you t

"Sorry, I can't help you there...don't know a thing about an engine that is that old. AND it is a small HP engine.....
I do know the wire color codes / function for the newer engines, but I do not know if they used the same colors way back in Woodstock days.
I will post the reference I use, and you can see if it fits your '69. It MAY NOT MATCH.

http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

AND

http://www.continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/wireColorCode.html#OMC"

Back