Logo

F8 cooling question

DJK55

Hello all. New to the Forum. First question. Running a new to me F8 on ears I see water coming out of the shift rod passage. Is this normal when applying water pressure to the intakes?

F8's were produced in a lot of different years....without knowing model/year I'll have to guess. If by "shift rod passage" you mean where the shift shaft and drive shaft join, and you're seeing water coming out...no, that's not normal. There is a water tube that runs from water pump up through mid section and up to block. Water doesn't escape this tube, it escapes through intended exits via cooling system.

Is there water coming out of tell-tale?

Going further with this, yes, good stream from the tell tale. The water is actually coming out further up on the leg. Removing the plastic shroud below the power head reveals two holes below the opening that exposes the shaft. Water is coming out of those holes and running down to where the shift rod connects to the gear case.

Two things come to mind. 1. The robber grommet on the water pump housing is worn (stretched) allowing some water to bypass the tube. 2. The tibe is loose at the top connection to the power head.

Your thoughts?

F8's were produced in a lot of different years....without knowing model/year I'll have to guess. If by "shift rod passage" you mean where the shift shaft and drive shaft join, and you're seeing water coming out...no, that's not normal. There is a water tube that runs from water pump up through mid section and up to block. Water doesn't escape this tube, it escapes through intended exits via cooling system.

Is there water coming out of tell-tale?

I have a semi clear tube that runs from the foot of my motor to my center console. This tube has water coming out of it inside of my center console. Is this tube supposed to be hooked up to something like a tach or gauge or alarm?

I also have poor water flow at low rpms and the temp alarm will go off if I idle real slow for more than 3-5 minutes. I plan to replace poppit valves but I am really confuse about the tube that has coming out of it at my console.. Any help is appreciated.

Back