Logo

F25 to F30

"Colin can't answer with 1

"Colin can't answer with 100% confidence, however, the parts numbers do not match up on the powerhead itself.

Additionally, if it is possible the cost is usually prohibitive compared to the gain. Unless you lie to yourself you would never notice any difference in "on boat" performance when comparing a 25 to 30 horse motor - except in a slight increase in gas consumption.

It is expensive to convert 2 strokes, which usually require nothing more than a carb change and possible exhaust change. A four stroke could require that plus a change to the cam as well. Just not worth the money.

If the 25 isn't doing it for you, sell it and buy as big a motor as your boat will allow. If you are near your max horsepower rating now, then just enjoy the boat as it is...."

"Colin, I'm not the guy to

"Colin, I'm not the guy to ask that question. I wouldn't own a 4 stroke unless it was given to me for nothing, and even then would probably just resell it.

Yes, they are quiet and burn less gas in a cleaner fashion than 2 strokes, but they are considerably more complicated, require significantly more maintanance and due to the increased number of moving parts, cost more to service - even if you are doing it yourself.

Having said all that, in the 4 stroke market (40/50 horse range) your choices are:

Suzuki (who also made the Johnson's until BRP/OMC stopped the Johnson line altogether).

Yamaha - who makes more outboards than all the others combined and is probably the best engineered outboard on the market.

Honda who (by all accounts) makes an excellent motor but is very rare where I live since their dealer/service network has never really taken a foothold - so personally haven't seen any with the hood off.

Tohatsu, who also build Nissan and the Mercs (small/mid size 4 strokes).

You may also see a couple of other lines (Chinese) out there called Parsun and Sail breaking into that horsepower range. They are about 95% Yamaha built.

If you are looking for a new motor in that hp range you may also want to investigate the Evinrude and Tohatsu Direct Injected 2 stroke models. Cost is about the same as a comparable 4 stroke, they run just as quiet, just as clean and have a powerhead that consists of 2 parts compared to the over 100 parts in the 4 strokes..."

Back