Logo

F200 tune up

habitualeyer

Hello everyone,
I have a 2004 F200. Has seen moderate use every year since purchased. Always kept clean oil in it, and good plugs. Changed fuel filter. Not much else has been done. Motor has performed flawlessly over the years but i think it's time for some more extensive maintenance. I know i need a new water pump impeller, but what other things should my dealer be servicing, checking, replacing, etc? I don't take it to dealer very often, so i want to make sure everything gets done for another 7-8 years of flawless operation.
Thanks everyone???

thanks. was not sure if there was any valve timing, or clearance, or anything else that would need a look. Can't afford new, so i have to keep the old happy.

How many hours on the engine? Maintenance is cheaper than repairs so have your dealer do a full assessment of your engine including a compression test.

When was the timing belt changed last?

Last edited:
That's my concern Chris, timing belt has never been changed. Oil, filter, plugs every season is all for 7 yrs. Not sure how many hours but has had moderate use every season. Fishing some very remote places now and motor has to be solid. That's why i'm taking in to dealer to be professionally gone through. Needed insight from you guys to make sure dealer checks-services EVERYTHING and misses nothing.
Thanks for the help!!

That age F200 is in the at risk group for both the Yamaha F series oil seal problem and the F series exhaust corrosion problem. The oil seal problem is quite likely to occur, and the exhaust corrosion problem is less likely in the F200 (death to many F225's), but worth checking for. Your Yamaha dealer will be familiar with these problems, but may, or, may not, want to comment on them as Yamaha seem to have been trying to avoid saying anything publicly about these 2 quite significant issues for larger F series engine owners. The oil seal issue can be managed by carrying spare oil and keeping a close eye on the top of your drive shaft for excess oil. The corrosion problem is one that if left unchecked can kill your engine with very little warning through water ingestion. To check this you need someone who is familiar with the issue to 'bore scope' your exhaust system with the lower unit removed. Preferably someone who is not representing Yamaha and who might not have a prejudiced view about the problem.

Back