Logo

F150 motor bracket question

ccm

Hello,
I have an 06 Yamaha F150 that I have been having problems with the trim/tilt. If the engine is running about 1200 rpms and trimmed as far up as possible, and still pick up water, when you trim the motor down it makes a strange noise. This started a couple of trips ago and the problem has been pretty constant. Does it most every time. When I was cleaning the boat today I noticed that when the trim is moved down it looks as if there is some metal to metal contact on the motor bracket. Don't know if this could be causing my problem but none the less it looks like it is a problem even if it is not my noise gremlin. I have attached a picture of which shows the wear that is happening. Ok, now my questions:

Could this be causing my noise problem? I really don't think so because
you can't replicate the noise when the motor is in the test tank at the
dealer. The motor must be pushing the boat for the noise to occur.

What is the best remedy for this metal to metal contact problem? Since
I use the motor in saltwater, I fear that if I just sand or file down the
pieces that are rubbing I will have a corrosion problem even if I repaint
them.

Is this metal to metal contact a sign of a more sinister problem?

For your information, the dealer has checked the hydraulic fluid in the trim unit and said it was OK.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

Attachments

• P1050794.jpg
    P1050794.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 48
The motor pivots on a shaft when it tilts up and down so there could be a bit of wear on the shaft. Are you lubricating the grease points?
The force of the prop in the water is probably putting some kind of side load on the motor when it is propelling the boat through the water. The motor could just be force sideways and this maybe why it is rubbing a bit.

It doesn't look too bad in the picture, does it hit on top or just rub on the side of it? You could get hold of the leg and see it there is any movement there,

HI, it`s very difficult to fix your problem because I`m not sure what kind of sound you`ve heard but not from side of the bracket. But my suggestion is
loosen the bracket nut little bit and then check the sound.

Back