Logo

Exhaust Flapper on top of Ypipe

xcommish

"During the season a loud bang

"During the season a loud banging suddenly began in the starboard engine, like someoene banging on a pipe with a hammer. This only occurred in idle, not when underway or revved up. Oil pressure, engine temperature and overall performance were not effected. After a few trips the problem disappeaed just as suddenly. I suspect the flapper. There was no visable debris in the exhaust when I pulled the drive. Any Ideas or advise (I dont beleive in boat miracles}? Also, the Seloc Manual descibes this part however, Volvo Penta Parts webpage does not show it on their parts list or exhaust diagrams. I'm oerdering manifolds and risers and would like to know a part number for the flapper. Thank you."

"2000 ( All Charcoal Color

"2000 ( All Charcoal Colored)5.7L GSi PEFS Dual Prop, raw water cooled. I appreciate your help."

Volvo doesn't sell the fla

Volvo doesn't sell the flapper anymore. They recommend you remove it and not replace it. Try " go2marine.com " and look at part number 3853854 and 3853864.

"Thanks Brian I found the flap

"Thanks Brian I found the flapper at Go2 under 3853864, the other number takes me to the sierra parts page. Volvo identifies this part # as an "expired seal". Do you know if they ever put out a service bulletin advising not to replace this flapper? I certainly dont want to dael with any dead seals if I dont have to. Thank you."

"Yes - Volvo did issue a servi

"Yes - Volvo did issue a service bulletin. I don't know how to upload a pdf but you may be able to find it by doing a google search. It was Service Bulletin (Group) 25-2, (Number) 5, (Version) 01, issued 9-1999.

Basically, they're saying that it's not effective in preventing water ingestion, has a short life, and when it fails, clogs the exhaust. They say they aren't going to supply them any more and give instructions for removal.

People have some ideas about agressive cam grinds and water reversion but if you're running a stock engine, Volvo doesn't think the flappers are needed any more."

"Thanks joe, that info was rea

"Thanks joe, that info was real helpful. I found that bulletin along with others at marineparts express.com search for bulletins and open Bobs Notebook. This site also has expanded views of schematics and part numbers (the volvo store's is microscopic). I searched the exhaust schematics for the 5.7l and the 5.7l Gsi.While the systems are relatively the same the 5.7 has a different water pump and a v belt and a FLAPPER. The Gsi has a serpentine belt and NO Flapper. Flapper was canned 1n 1999 my gsi was built in 2000. Could I possibly have a bastardized version that still had the flapper? Otherwise I wont know for shure until I lose 15 pounds after the holdays and can fit in the engine copartment to pull the exhaus hose off. Any good guesses?"

Back