Logo

Exhaust collecting tube

bushwood

Contributing Member
On one of my 440s, I developed a hole on one of the tubes for the 'Y' or exhaust collecting tubes-post risers. It transports the exhaust and cooling water to muffler and overboard.

Anyone know of a distributor or better material to use to future problems?

FWC, I boat in salt water.

Thanks

I don't know what material yours are made of but mine are F/glass. In my area we have some good glass guys that make them to your specs very reasonable.

If you're really in a bind, or have a difficult time finding what you need, you could probably fabricate the piece using HDPE pipe. It's similar to PVC in size offerings, fittings, etc. but isn't nearly as brittle as PVC (or fiberglass). It also has a pretty good temp threshold……enough to handle a wet exhaust system at least.

It's a material of choice for making mortar tubes for large fireworks shells......so it's pretty tough stuff.

I suspect it would be a pretty cheap option as well.

I am also wondering about pulling the collecting tube, taking it to a welding shop and seeing if they can at least test the integrity of the rest of the system. If it appears fine except for the rusted out portion, cut it out, fabricate the new piece and move forward. I love (sarcasm) having to take apart my exhaust system, again, to fix another part that I would not think is normal, wear and tear. I replaced my risers, spacers, etc., this winter and didn't see any signs of the pending problem. It would have been nice to have dealt with it in February rather than the hot August afternoons....

Back