Logo

Excessive oil use, 115 TLDI (MD115A2)

Damon

Hi to all and thank you in advance,
I have a just purchased a boat with a 2013 115 TLDI with 380 hours on it. On my first trip out it used about 2l of oil (xd100) for 75l of fuel, this seems excessive to me, I was told by a dealer down south that a worn impeller can cause a temperature rise and use more oil. I have anew impeller and will replace, is there anything else I should checking. Thank you.

Hmm. 2.7% does seem a bit high. When was the oil pump rod last synchronized to the throttle? If the motor is really cold, you might use a bit more oil. But that sounds like the 50:1 ratio of WOT.

I'm not sure if the oil rod has been synchronised at all. How do you go about doing this procedure, will it be in the workshop manual,p. thank you

Hmm. 2.7% does seem a bit high. When was the oil pump rod last synchronized to the throttle? If the motor is really cold, you might use a bit more oil. But that sounds like the 50:1 ratio of WOT.
As I said it has about 380 hrs and I don't think the water pump has been changed in since the original services the owner would of received after purchase. What should the oil consumption be on average in average running conditions. Thank you for your reply.

Fuel mix depends on throttle. Idle is probably 100:1, WOT up to 50:1.
Ow ok, thank you, I thought I'd read that idle was more like 250:1 or even less, but I could definitely be wrong, can you say how I go about synchronising the oil pump rod with throttle, thank you.

Back