Logo

exaust oil

gloverjames8

I have a 50 hp johnson.when i take it out of the water oil water comes out of propeller shaft.i have been told that it is exaust not oil.that it is normal.whats up.

It is the nature of your 2 stroke engine.----Some fuel and oil escape out the exhaust ports before the piston closes the ports.----This bit is just wasted and shows up leaking out the prop.------One of the reasons 4 stroke engines are now popular.

Stop and think about it: Every drop of that oil that you put in the gas goes through the engine. Some burns (smoke), and the rest goes out the exhaust after it has done it's job. If it ALL burned, there would be no lubrication at the exhaust ports area, the area that needs it most. That's just the way two-strokes work.

I guess some guys don't like Penzoil. I'm not one of those guys. That's all I use.

When all the " clean " 4 strokes age what happens to the leaked oil.-------Where does the oil go that is drained out of 4 stroke outboard crankcases go?

You have one, two cycle Outboard, I service many, Pennzoil will ruin your engine. It's all the unburned, unneeded, additives. They will clog the rings and eventually wipe the cylinder out.

Last edited:
You have one, two cycle Outboard, I service many, Pennzoil will ruin your engine. It's all the unburned, unneeded, additives. They will clog the rings and eventually wipe the cylinder out.

I suppose that was directed toward me? Well, I have not one, but 5 outboards of my own, one is a 30 year old Johnson that I bought new and has never had a wrench laid on it except for routine water pumps. Others are all antiques or classics. In addition, I have a leaf blower, chainsaw, and a string trimmer. They all get Pennzoil 100% Synthetic TC-W3. Not one has given any trouble whatsoever. You service many. Well, I'm retired now, but spent 24 years as a full time outboard mechanic at a dealership. And yes, I too have seen many stuck rings. But can't blame it on any one oil. If they are NMMA CERTIFIED TC-W3 they have passed the ring sticking test.

But I respect your opinion as a fellow wrench twirler.

You may be using Pennzoil 100% Synthetic TC-W3 @$60+ dollars a gallon, The average Boater is using Pennzoil Marine XLF TC-W3 Which is crap and will wreck your engine.

Johnson XD-50 is About $34 a gallon and worth the extra $10 over Pennzoil Marine XLF TC-W3.

Less than five minutes ago, I bought three gallons of Pennzoil 100% Synthetic TC-W3 oil for $76.71 total for the three, free shipping and no tax. If it ruins my motors, well......hasn't yet.

BTW, a type in previous post. I don't have five outboards, I have eight.

Price:$76.71 & FREE Shipping. Details
Usually ships within 1 to 2 months. From Amazon.

You may be using Pennzoil 100% Synthetic TC-W3 @$60+ dollars a gallon.

"The average Boater" is using Pennzoil Marine XLF TC-W3 Purchase from their local walmart, Which is crap and will wreck your engine.

When boaters are given or take bad advice, Marine Mechanics make more $$$$. Best advice I can give as a paid professional is to use manufactures oil in your engines.

what about amsoil?? what's your advise??? I use the saber 100:1...as my motor just to smoke as a freight train, I hardly ever run it over 3500 rpms, I mostly troll at 1400 rpms for hours in the Sea Of Cortez down in Mexico... the VRO had been eliminated when I bought the motor... @ about 11 bucks a quart...

Back