Logo

Evinrude VE700LETS stutter / miss at WOT

RickJamesBish

Started suddenly. After high throttle, the engine stutters and vibrates. It runs smooth prior to that.

New plugs, power pack, fuel filter, fuel pump and the carbs rebuilt and synced. Ran fine yesterday and just started while causing around 75% throttle.

To diagnose, I removed one spark plug wire at a time so only running on 2 cylinders. I did this from each cylinder and the engine ran wide open without stutter, but obviously sluggish. This makes me think it's something being triggered at a higher rpm than is obtainable on 2 cylinders.

Video

Thoughts?

Check the wires from the timer base make sure not binding. Check to make sure timer base moves smoothly. Check timer base and stator with a tester. Does it happen at 2700 rpm? Maybe S.L.O.W kicking in?

Check the wires from the timer base make sure not binding. Check to make sure timer base moves smoothly. Check timer base and stator with a tester. Does it happen at 2700 rpm? Maybe S.L.O.W kicking in?
Thanks for the response. Some of this is beyond my knowledge. I did check, what I assume is the timing base. It moves with the throttle and inevitably bumps against a rubber stop.

We are on our vacation and boat is on the water. Been trying to find someone local to may e check it out at the dock but can't find any info. Will probably have to wait.

Thanks again.

Back