Logo

Evinrude question

Starflite, model 50523 75 hp from 1960. I removed the lower to inspect my impeller, when I pulled the drive shaft out, I noticed a metal ring sitting at the top of the driveshaft hole (If you were looking up into the hole). I pulled it out, looks like maybe a retaining ring? It's solid, very thin, really not sure where it goes and I can't find it in the schematics,. I will say, it fits around the rubber washer on the driveshaft, but plays no integral part. Anyone know what this ring goes to?

Are you talking about looking up into the hole in the direction of toward the powerhead? Sounds to me like part of the lower crankshaft seal. There is a retaining ring, a couple of thin washers, a spring and a carbon seal up there. Look at the Crankshaft and Pistons page of the parts book.

Are you talking about looking up into the hole in the direction of toward the powerhead? Sounds to me like part of the lower crankshaft seal. There is a retaining ring, a couple of thin washers, a spring and a carbon seal up there. Look at the Crankshaft and Pistons page of the parts book.

I checked, nothing there rings a bell. I'm really not sure what this goes to, I'm using my phone and not sure how to send pics. I will say that as I pulled the drive shaft out I heard the ring fall, yet the ring is almost the same circumference as the drive shaft hole

not sure how to send pics

Use the "free" site Photobucket.com . Upload your pic, then copy paste.

I'll see if I have a picture of what I think it is which would be the small "retaining snap ring" that grabs onto a groove in the bottom portion of the crankshaft which keeps the bottom main bearing seal assembly in place.

Found one.... I suspect it's either #2 or #11.
Bottom CS Seal Assy.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps you'll be one of the lucky ones, but if not.... most likely this would show up as traces of water entering #4 cylinder (bottom cylinder on port bank).

Might be a waste of time to remove the powerhead anyway on a 54 year old engine as having either of those rings sliding down the driveshaft area could mean that the groove on the bottom of the crankshaft has rusted away and that means there is nothing to hold the retaining snap ring.

Last edited:
Perhaps you'll be one of the lucky ones, but if not.... most likely this would show up as traces of water entering #4 cylinder (bottom cylinder on port bank).

Might be a waste of time to remove the powerhead anyway on a 54 year old engine as having either of those rings sliding down the driveshaft area could mean that the groove on the bottom of the crankshaft has rusted away and that means there is nothing to hold the retaining snap ring.

My feelings exactly. At this point I'm keeping it on small lakes and looking for a new motor.

Back