Logo

Evinrude Powerpack Issues

cpro90

Hey there,

I am new here and hope to find some help - it makes me crazy :D

I own an Evinrude Elan 35 HP from 1996 with 3 Cylinders and faced this main issue this summer: Most time I want to give some speed, the outboarder declines and stopped at ~3000-3500 rpm. It sounds like a drumer hitting its drums very fast (or maybe a little bit like a jackhammer). I changed the powerpack, because after trials and errors the cylinders 1 + 3 quitted their tasks and there were no ignition sparks anymore.

After waiting 6 weeks the new powerpack arrived and after mounting the same error occurs. Sometimes the engine works and rotates at 6000 rpm, but after a few seconds, it throttles down to ~3000-3500 rpm. After a long resarch, it seems to me the S.L.O.W.-System is the miscreant. Is their something I can do to get rid of this error? The motor is not overheating, because the error occurs even when the engine is freshly started. The impeller pump and the powerpack must be okay so far. What could it be?

Thanks for your help and best regards
Chris

You could have a bad temperature switch in the head. Disconnect the wires going to it and see what happens.

Last edited:
You could have a bad temperature switch in the head. Disconnect the wires going to it and see what happens.

I thought something like this could be the problem. It might be the part 23 in this chart http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1996/BE35KLEDC/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html
The big question is: Where is it connected to the powerpack. Maybe the single red wire that comes out of it?

I also face the problem, that the signal buzzer makes sound but the oil level is okay. Maybe this phenomenon happens when the temperature level is critical too?

Thanks for your reply
Chris

And you have not replaced the impeller ??-------------And is this motor still running with oil injection in service ?.--------The oil injection system is considered unreliable on those 3 cylinder motors.-------Take that system off and throw it away.

And you have not replaced the impeller ??-------------And is this motor still running with oil injection in service ?.--------The oil injection system is considered unreliable on those 3 cylinder motors.-------Take that system off and throw it away.
Of course I changed the impeller. And the oil injection seems to be okay. But I will try disconnecting it and if slow is still activated.

Orange, lighter orange and black, the plug was located directly after these three wires came out of the oil limit sender. After having another look at it, the wires were broken at its connection on the sender.

Here it seems to be a great weekend. Maybe I'll give a try for the first "real" boat tour this season :D

Last edited:
Back