Logo

Evinrude fastwin fuel problem? 1965 18hp

Dave Truman

I have an Evinrude fastwin 18, engine cover looks like a 1965, but model number 15016-11022 indicates 1956. Very confusing! I have 24-1 fuel mix, replaced plugs gapped to .030, replaced points gapped to .020, and was ready for this engine to run fine, well, started on first pull, would not smooth out or continue to run unless I metered fuel by pulling and pushing on choke. I could increase rpm by removing cover and manually opening choke butterfly, but, then would hear this occaisional clunk, did not sound good. I assume all is well with ignition system, but, not carb. And that clunk, nor sure what that is about, I assume I'll have new ignition, carb rebuild, then discover a crankcase issue. Any insights on this plethora of issues?????

Re: Evinrude fastwin fuel problem?

15016 is indeed a 1956 model but only a 15hp Fastwin

The parts manuals at http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php might enable you to work out what it is . 15hp or 18hp 1956 or 1965

If it will run with some choke but not without then very probably in need of a carb clean

Choke butterfly should be closed to start it but then fully opened once warmed up a little

Was the clunk while in gear or neutral? In gear might indicate a lower unit problem. Post some pictures of the motor if you can. Rectangular fiberglass hood with rectangular pan is the 65. Oval metal hood with oval metal pan is 56. Welch plug ID should be on the starboard side towards the rear. The 65 lower unit will have a Phillips head screw on the side of the skeg to retain the shifter yoke. The 56 has the retainer inside the skeg.

OK, here is the latest on this 18? Fastwin. I have new plugs, new points set at .020. Now the carb has been rebuilt. Everything almost new, huh? Well yesterday engine starts and sounds good on first pull(hands now sore with blisters). Can only keep engine running by manually opening carb butterfly(not choke). Check my 6 horse johnson, and the cam follower on the timing plate is engaged when out of gear, on the evinrude it is not. $64. question here, could the timing plate on the evinrude be worn out to the point that it is no longer in its proper location? Is there a repair kit? I have attached photos of this mystery engine to help with identification. Again, the numers on the placard are as follows 15016-11522. Thanks

Attachments

• P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 264
  • P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,273
  • P1010037.jpg
    P1010037.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 263

Not the 15016. Would look more like this.
newstuff0032.jpg
That is the 58 model 15024.. Yours is closer to this one :
HPNX0045.jpg
which is the 1962 model 15036. Look for the silver disc on the motor.
newstuff0037.jpg
That is more important right now than the data plate on the transom bracket. The cam follower wheel can be replaced. There is a procedure for timing the cam to the carb. Resetting the carb needles might help. Harder to set the models with the knobs joined than those where the knobs are separate. This is only because of the extra linkage involved. Disconnect the link from the high speed needle until you get it set. Since that needle needs to be set while at WOT on the water this is somewhat difficult. Set the low speed needle at 1 1/2 turns and the high speed at 3/4 turn. Check some of JoeReeves posts for procedure. Low speed first, then high speed, then recheck low speed.

I have 24-1 fuel mix,

Maybe someone could help us both here, i was under the understanding one could use a 50:1 gas/oil mix as the oil from back then wasn't good enough for a leaner ratio.
As for the clunk, was that at or very near a stall? I have seen loose stator plates that allow the plate to jump at low speeds. i feel that is why so many old motors don't troll very well.

Sometimes a post will say to use a 50:1 oil and they meant to use that type of oil not that mix. Until the motors started getting roller bearings all over they needed the extra oil at 16:1 or 24:1. Even with the improvements to oils these days I don't use 50:1 ratio in any motor older than 1962 unless I know it was fitted with rollers. Others will say they use some brand of synthetic oil at 50:1 and never had a problem. Best for me is to find out what ratio the manufacturer recommends and stick to it regardless of what oil you choose to run.

Back