Logo

Evinrude 88 SPL tilt trim fluid refil screw

kazis

hello boaters and fishermen,im new here and new to owning a boat.i have a small leak from tilt trim on my 88 spl. motor doesnt go down or up and i see some oil in the water.cant find refill screw,please help.:eek:

tilt the motor fully up...look behind the starboard cylinder and there is a reservoir with a screw in it...you may have to clean it off to find it....do not remove the plug unless the pistons are fully extended...after filling it replace the screw loosely...cycle the motor up and down several times to remove any air from the system...check and if any oil is needed and repeat... tighten the plug and you should be good to go...
if you have to use the manual release then there is a slotted screw on the right hand side as viewed from the back right above the bottom bolt that attached the motor to the boat...do not forget to tighten this when you are thru adding the initial fluid..

those switches on evinrude control arms will corrode so make sure it fails from the motor switches also...if for any reason you have to take the control arm switch out be extremely careful....it mounts on some mickey mouse plastic that can be broken easily...then you are going to need the whole control arm....last time i tried you could not buy just the switch..evinrude had the whole cable assy for in excess of 100 bucks...you can take this little switch apart and clean it as its a ww1 design but be careful as it has a lot of little parts that are easy to lose..you need nerves of steel to do it so dont even try with a hangover...

Last edited:
tilt the motor fully up...look behind the starboard cylinder and there is a reservoir with a screw in it...you may have to clean it off to find it....do not remove the plug unless the pistons are fully extended...after filling it replace the screw loosely...cycle the motor up and down several times to remove any air from the system...check and if any oil is needed and repeat... tighten the plug and you should be good to go...
if you have to use the manual release then there is a slotted screw on the right hand side as viewed from the back right above the bottom bolt that attached the motor to the boat...do not forget to tighten this when you are thru adding the initial fluid..

which one is that reservoir? is it the one where the screw located to release pressure? boat is in the water,maybe thats why im not able to see it.
p.s thanks for quick response!

which one is that reservoir? is it the one where the screw located to release pressure? boat is in the water,maybe thats why im not able to see it.
p.s thanks for quick response!

Hello all,

Not to thread jack or anything but I'm sure the OP could benefit. I am having the same issue with the same engine. My boat is in the water and difficult for me to pull onto trailer at this time. I hear the relays clicking and motor working the engine just doesn't move. I have seen an oil sheen when raising the motor so I'm pretty sure there's a leak and want to fill with fluid until I can fix the seals. I want to confirm which is the correct one for filling with fluid. Here is a pic of my trim assembly, what I think to be the fill screw is circled. Can anyone lead me in the right direction on where the manual release screw is? Thanks.

trim_motor.jpg

Back