Logo

Evinrude 70973R over rev and prop turning in neutral

kssnooz

I know I just posted another request for help but this is different.

1979 70973R 70HP that is over reving and the prop is turning even in neutral (not the standard minor spinning from water and lube friction) it actually is spinning with some speed.

As for the over rev, I followed a video (actual Evinrude tech video on youtube) and the manual for adjusting the throttle cam, and that makes it actually rev faster with the slightest movement of the start throttle lever. I have not adjusted timing or anything.

History, boat has been in cave storage for 5+ years, got it out last year and replaced ignition switch, spark plugs, fuel lines and it ran, but would not go past 7 to 10 mph on the water without bogging down/up/down/up. Took carbs off and did a full rebuild. Carbs are back on and I am doing the water pump this weekend.
The unit was without any lower unit grease the whole time in the caves. I added lube last year and just replaced it this week(didn't look for metal or anything just replaced it).

Can anyone give me some tips and tricks to try to slow down the idle rev/throttle advance rev? It just seems to want to run away if I have the start throttle lever up at all after first cold start.

Also need assistance with thoughts on why the prop is spinning at speed in neutral.

Thanks again for reading and any assistance.

-Brian

Back