Logo

Evinrude 6602E Gear oil leak above prop on underside of leg

bolt05

Hi, I recently acquired a 6602E, 1966 Evinrude 6hp motor. It's pretty old and in rough shape but im rebuilding it. I have not tried to start it yet, however it has compression, produces sparks, and turns over well enough. I have replaced the starter cord and obtained a fuel hose and fittings but this leak is curious.

When I picked it up the prop was covered in oil and the bloke I got it from mentioned the gear oil had been drained and never refilled. There was also a spot of oil on the underside of the leg as shown in the picture below - (incidentally where gear oil is now leaking from since I refilled it).

So after a bit of a clean and fill with oil I notice the gear oil is slowly leaking out of this weep hole as pictured (the screwdriver is pointing at it). So i'm going to do a gear case seal kit anyway, but any idea which seal might be leaking for this to be happening?

Also can anyone confirm that this hole is some sort of weep hole, or what its purpose should otherwise be? Its not mentioned in the service manual I downloaded but it is visible in some of the pictures.

evinrude oil leak.jpg

Would be nice if anyone else out there has seen this before and can assist to explain it. Next step is to see if I can actually start the thing with some fresh petrol (gas) and see if it idles in a barrel of water. Then I plan on stripping it down and doing all the seals. I had already pulled the leg and cleaned out the water pump and checked the impeller which is an aftermarket plastic top with a steel insert and much smaller than oem impeller. Worked that out after a bit of googling. Other wise the impeller should be ok to pump for a test run, but I will be replacing it for the rebuild anyway. The test run is to see if she starts and idles and then i dont have to worry about a carby rebuild immediately. Will probably do that too eventually, but for now, lets see if she at least runs and fix this leak anyway. I just dont want to pull the leg apart and then find it still leaks later on if I miss something.

Cheers

Last edited:
It is a drain (weep) hole. It is there to drain off any liquid that happens tp be in the cavity which it drains. That liquid may be normal or a leak. Yes, some is normal. Solution depends on the type and source of the liquid.

I have seen that hole plugged.----But it has to be there..----Do not forget to replace o-ring on the shift rod.----A major leak point if it is 56 years old.-----Did you replace the coils ?----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more ?

Thanks.
I wasnt asking about the ignition, I just wanted to understand what that drain hole was.
I'll see what happens on friday when I attempt to start it regarding the coils. I'll test before I replace. I have to order everything online from overseas as none of these parts are stocked in Australia. If they are somewhere in the country, they aren't cheap. This little motor will be a slow project for me.

Solving one problem at a time, and eventually solve enough problems and make a working motor.

Appreciate the assistance.

Good luck with it.-----Sounds like you have a good plan on your own.
Perhaps lol. We'll see how it goes!
I can get that shift linkage o ring within a gear case seal kit. Unfortunately this is about $100 Australian delivered. Ouch! For a few o rings and other seals.
Im hoping when I tap out the brass bushing that the shift rod o-ring sits beneath, I can save it. Unelss you happen to know that I should just order the brass bushing too? I suppose for the sake of $13 US I might order one of those too because its a few weeks wait for post from overseas if I mince it or have to tap and screw it getting it out.
I believe it is this part that Im referring to:

Back