Logo

Evinrude 5hp engine not starting

ivaan97

Hi.

I have a evinrude 5hp 2-stroke outboard engine that not starting. It has spark and gets fuel it ran last year but not good then i put it back to storage because winter. I dont know much about the engine cuz i got it as a present and cant find service or owners manuals for it.

Assuming compression is good, might just be time for a nice little carb cleaning and inspection of all fuel hoses to make sure none are falling apart from inside out thus clogging up carb.

Ivan, Model number is super important to know when you are seeking advice on motors. you will find it on the bracket where that mounts the motor to the boat. I am with boobi on this one. If the compression is weak then you may be just wasting time on these other steps you are taking. Go to your local auto parts store. They should be willing to loan you a compression test set up. Its super easy to do. Just take the spark plug out and screw in the compression tester. Pull the starter rope good and hard a few times and look at the gauge. Good luck! Peace

Ivan, Model number is super important to know when you are seeking advice on motors. you will find it on the bracket where that mounts the motor to the boat. I am with boobi on this one. If the compression is weak then you may be just wasting time on these other steps you are taking. Go to your local auto parts store. They should be willing to loan you a compression test set up. Its super easy to do. Just take the spark plug out and screw in the compression tester. Pull the starter rope good and hard a few times and look at the gauge. Good luck! Peace

I put the model no earlier and here they dont loan compression testers but the compression is good it runs for minute but then it stops running and is hard to get started.

When it stops do you have to operate the manual pump to fill the carburetor again ?-----Does it keep running if you operate the manual pump ?

Back