Logo

Evinrude 55hp 1979 : spark one day, no spark the next, and so on...

mrpigg

Hi !
I'm new to this forum ! I'll try to explain a summer of headache !
Long story short : I bought my boat, a StMaurice 1969 equipped with an Evinrude 55hp 1979 in July. The guy who sell me the boat did a complete rebuild of the engine, very clean. Everything was fine while the boat was on the trailer : starts and idle fine. First time I put it in water, a had a backfire et fire began in the engine. I've noticed that the tie wrap maintaining the fuel line from the pump to the upper carburetor was missing. Fine, put a new tie wrap and it runs well ! After that, I've decided to rebuild the fuel line (it was a little burned and cracked by the fire). Engine starts and iddle fine. Some days latter, tried to start it again : nothing ! It cranks but does not ignite. I thought that maybe my jets where clogged due to the fuel line change. Cleaned the jets (didn't dismantle carbs since the priming bulb was firm, I didn't suspect needle valves and remember, the engine was completely rebuild) et noticed that I had no spark on both cylinder. Then, replace the power pack (I had extra one) and hurra, it starts and idle fine. Some days later, again, try to start for a ballad, and the engine did not idle. It was starting, but dying at idle as soon as I lower the pre heating lever. Fine, cleaned the middle jets again, still no luck. Then I tried an other gaz and, surprisingly, engine then idle fine with 87 octane ethanol whereas it didn't want to idle with super 95 without ethanol. Ok, I'll run with regular gaz and seafoam ! I thought my adventures would have stopped there. But NO ! Again, 3 days later, tried to start and.... NOTHING ! It cranks but does not ignite. Again no spark.

So I resume :
- new powerpack
- new coils
- sometimes it starts, sometimes no spark...
Remember that I had a fire in the left side of the engine (pump side).
Note : first time it happens, tried with the black/yellow wire disconnected from the powerpack's canon plug : still no ignition. Didn't tried this time. There is no lanyard in my control box.

Now I suspect the stator, do you think it could be the culprit ? Why does it starts sometimes and 2-3 days later nothing ? Does wet weather and rainy days could affect ignition ? I use to store the engine in upper position since the water level in my river fluctuate a lot. Could a bad rectifier affect spark ? I really don't know where to look for ! I'll try again to disconnect the kill switch and I'll let you know.

Thanks !

Last edited:
I suggest you have battery load tested.-----And take starter apart for inspection and ohm check on armature.-----No money spent to do that.

Thank you for your reply !
The starter works, it cranks. I don't understand how the starter could be involved in a lack of spark, did I miss something ?

Flywheel must spin fast or there will be no spark.-----And 12 volts from the battery does not make spark on this thing.

Sure, cranking speed of 250-300 rpm as stated in CDI guide, I understand.
Yesterday I saw that the battery was at 12V : I'll charge it.
The first time I had no spark, I charged the battery (at 12.6V) without success, we'll see this time !

Hi !
so the battery is full charged (12.7v), still cranking but mot starting.
plan to take measures following cdi troubleshooting guide this we.
Since coils and powerpacks are almost new, i can only suspect stator issue.
any advice ?
thank you !!

Back