Logo

Evinrude 50 Normal Operating Temperature - Head and Block

mturner125

I have a 1999 or 1998 50 HP Evinrude and was wondering if it's normal to see a range of temperatures across the block of the motor and cylinder head. The tell tale shows a strong stream and I've already replaced the thermostat. The temperature at the head is in spec - not exceeding 160 degrees measured with a infrared thermometer.

However, I am getting significantly higher readings on the crank case - ranging from 155-200 degrees. I've also noticed that the tell tale gets only slightly warm to the touch. Never what I would consider warm or hot. I suppose it's also important to note that I haven't gotten an overheat alarm. Given all this, would it be worthwhile to open up the water passage cover to inspect? Are those temperatures on the crank case a sign of trouble?

Thanks

The pisser is a water pump indicator..just tells ya water pump is functioning and has nothing to do with cooling system operation. It is normal to see a range of temps...

Post a picture of where you see the 200 degree F temperatures.----Do you have a model # and is it a 4 stroke by any chance ?

The pisser is a water pump indicator..just tells ya water pump is functioning and has nothing to do with cooling system operation. It is normal to see a range of temps...

Thanks for the response. I'm pretty new at this and am trying check all the systems. I'll probably keep taking temp readings until I build some trust in this motor. At what temperature would you begin to get concerned about a overheat or blockage?

I have a new impeller pump kit and a jug of HPF pro sitting here on my desk. That's the project for this coming weekend.

Hey raceone - 1998 Evinrude E50TSLECC 50hp

I confirmed multiple times that the cylinder head was staying under 160. The higher temperature readings (175-200 degrees) were on the starboard side of the crankcase.
Please let me know if you think I should remove the water jacket cover and inspect. It seems odd to me that the tell tale water isn't all that warm.

Well ---That tell tale water does NOT go through the block.---Confirming what was mentioned in post #2 already.

Sorry if I’m using the wrong terminology. Everything very well may be fine. I just wanted to try to confirm with experienced folks that it is or is not a concern that the temperature reading on the side of the crankcase is getting up to 200.

Well ---That tell tale water does NOT go through the block.---Confirming what was mentioned in post #2 already.

You mentioned that the tell tale water doesn’t go through the block. It seems it does according to that water follow diagram I posted. It’s represented in blue and it seems like it flows around the cylinders. Am I wrong?

Am I wrong?
Yes...look at diagram again. You will see that supply from water pump comes thru adapter plate, then thru exhaust cover which indicator is bled off from. Also it is at lowest point on block. Also note it never sees any heated water. so that why pisser never gets warm. Put the new impeller in and go boating.

Yes...look at diagram again. You will see that supply from water pump comes thru adapter plate, then thru exhaust cover which indicator is bled off from. Also it is at lowest point on block. Also note it never sees any heated water. so that why pisser never gets warm. Put the new impeller in and go boating.

oh man, yeah, I see what you’re saying now. Thanks for pointing that out. I was misreading the flow diagram.

Back