Logo

Evinrude 35 sparkng on one cyclinder only

MikeMan

Contributing Member
Hi, I have a evinrude 1980 e35ecsm.Its only got spark on the top cylinder and i dont have a timing light to check if thats even sparking correctly as it really struggles to even get started on that one cylinder, although it is a decent spark.
The bottom has no spark.
Ive swapped coils and they both work. Ive checked the stator under the flywheel with a multimeter and i get the correct reading- 538 ohms and the rest are open which is apparently correct. The two wires to the trigger (sensor assy)i am getting no reading from, from what ive read im meant to get 10-20 ohmns.
Could a faulty trigger cause this sparking problem?
I dont have a meter that can read as "diode"scale which is what ive read i need to check the powerpack.
Thanks

The motor has one trigger coil , fires both cylinders.
Yep thats right thanks just the one trigger under the flywheel. Could that be busted and making the powerpack fire constantly only on the top cylinder or is the fact there is firing on one spark out of the two mean the trigger is actually ok so its most likely then the powerpack?

The trigger is OK.--------------It is likely the powerpack if you have eliminated a bad coil and a wiring issue. All wiring / connecters have been checked I hope.----------The stuff under the flywheel is very reliable

Il double check wiring with a continuity test and get a powerpack if the wirings all ok. I will record here the result in due course.
Yeah its good to know most of this engines reliable before heading out into the Southern Ocean here in autumn/winter
Thanks a lot

Ok thanks, il try and borrow a DVA so i can check the voltages, so i can be as close to 100% sure of the fault first, as the price for a powerpack is well up there. It does seem less likely from reading the cdi that id get any spark if the one and only trigger was damaged but its not conclusive.
It was interesting to read in cdi that a fault in either the trigger or the powerpack could damage the other.

Back